Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lessons Learned - Sorry and Trouble

It's funny how much you can learn about yourself through your children.  My dad used to always say that we played games by my rules and that if I didn't win, I pouted.  I don't remember that...but one does pick and choose what details they want to remember.
Apparently my downfall was the game Sorry.  I got it for Christmas one year and I loved to play it.  Now I don't remember showing poor sportsmanship but if it's anything like Brother Bear's attitude the last few days while playing his new game from the Easter Bunny, Trouble, then I understand why Dad reminded me of "Andrea's Rules" well into my adulthood.
Brother Bear only wants me to play with him (Dad must be laughing up there in Heaven) and he gets very upset if I send one of his players back to home or if mine get to the home spot faster than his.  Was I really this bad?  Not that Brother Bear is being bad, he's just frustrated about learning the rules of the game and who doesn't want to win all the time?  

Dad, I get it now.  I can't change the past but I can be patient and teach the bears that it's not always about winning the game but how you play the game...or something like that.  Yeah, I'm still learning too.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds a lot like my house! We play Monopoly a lot, and both of my kids have to learn that they can't always get the spaces they want or win the game, etc. My eldest is really starting to learn that lesson with "Risk." Oy, vey. :)

    Enjoy it - I'm just hoping that one day they won't be too cool to play games with me ...

    Jess

    ReplyDelete