Monday, February 21, 2011

Trick Out My Cricket

When Santa brought out family a Cricket Loom for Christmas, we were super excited.  So far we have woven quite a few yards of scarves and bags.  I have become a member of the Cricket Club on Ravelry where I have learned an insane amount about my loom. 

In one discussion thread, many of the weavers were customizing their loom by staining it in shades of Cherry, Mahogany, Walnut, etc...I decided to add a bit of Wonder to the Cricket and picked my Orange.  Sister Bear went stain shopping with me and she said a Cricket needed to be green so...together we picked out Orange and Green to make the loom our own, specifically Mandarin Orange and Green Tea Green.

Before we dismantled the loom we had major discussions about what pieces would be which colors.  Yes, it isn't rocket science... it's rock star thinking.  While we were busy staining our loom, Grumpy and Brother Bear were painting their Cub Scout Derby Car.  Our family was super artsy craftsy this weekend and the house was full of paint fumes.  Anyways, we decided which pieces would be which colors and off we went. 

First we needed to lightly sand all of the pieces then I explained to Sister Bear that a little bit of stain goes a very long way.  I don't think she quite understood that so there are sides that look more like painted wood than stained wood but...she learned about staining and I learned about patience.  Two valuable lessons were learned.

As an afterthought, I guess I should have had us wear gloves but...we were using water based stain so it washed off easily.  It wasn't as messy as I thought it would be which I'm thankful for.  The end result is exactly what I hoped for.  The Green Tea and Mandarin Orange together are awesome.  I did chose to not peal off the Cricket sticker.  I like that a wee bit of the natural color stayed on the loom. 

You'll also notice that I kept the back Apron Bars Green and the front Apron Bars Orange.  Sometimes when you get busy warping you can get confused so now I have my colors to easily identify front from back.





Oh, I did manage to get a wee bit of stain on the plastic side pieces where the teeth grab. I tried wrapping them in tape but it made it harder to get in the cracks.  After I took the photos, I easily wiped the stain off using a little rubbing alcohol.  I'm glad I used the water based stain...can I say that again?  Yes, I'm glad I used the water based stain because it creates less of a mess.



For more messy projects, check out a Marvelous Mess!

8 comments:

  1. The green and orange look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! It looks absolutely unique now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy with it. At first I didn't know how it would turn out since Sister Bear was painting on the stain but in the end...it all worked out and now it is truly a one-of-a-kind masterpiece to weave even more amazing projects on.

    I will be staining my Lendrum Spinning Wheel...by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good! I am such a color wimp - I would have just painted ecru.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea, your cricket looms look exiting! I would like to try! I have made long time ago with my mother some carpets/rugs and it was so much fun!
    Have a lovely day! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWE-some!

    --elizaduckie

    ReplyDelete