Friday, November 2, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Halloween Treats

 Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  This week has been beyond insane but I did manage to get a bit of knitting done.  My shawl is moving slowly because I've been on the move too much.  I plied all of the drop spindle yarn that I spun during the Tour de Fleece (yes, I cheated and used my wheel to ply). I also completed a couple of small projects for Halloween.

I attended my last elementary Halloween party.  I can't believe that Brother Bear won't have anymore Halloween Parades at school.  They don't have them in middle school and this is my last year with an elementary age student.

Yikes!  How do our children grow up so fast?




We ended up trick or treating in a very cold (38 degrees) misting rain.  I went "old school" and huffed the few blocks with the kids in that weather to enjoy the evening.  I must say, if you feel you have to drive your child from door to door, you may as well take them to the grocery store and just pick out a bag of candy.  I was so angry at parents speeding through the neighborhoods then letting their kids jump out to get candy.  Where is the spirit of the evening in that?


I really enjoy chatting with other parents as we watch our kids run from house to house and waving a friendly hello to the person passing out goodies to our kids.  It's part of the Halloween fun.  My little bears are growing up and soon they will be too big to enjoy trick or treat fun.  It really is a fun evening walking through the neighborhood. (We trick or treat by my aunt's house since we live out in the country)

In the spirit of my favorite holiday, I knitted up a couple more items from the Mamma4Earth KAL on Ravelry.  Last week I shared the Witches Hat.  This week, I completed the Cat and a pumpkin.  I think I shall knit a few more items from her patterns and create a knitted display for work next year.


Did you knit anything for Halloween?  What did you dress up as? Share your adventures in Fiber Arts!





Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs


23 comments:

  1. Your Halloween makes are fantastic, very cute. Sounds like you had fun trick & treating even with the bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dressing up for me. Halloween is not a holiday in this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls are really too old to go, but the freshman still went out and got candy! And I have no clue where she's hidden it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you going old school!
    Cute little holloween knitups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you really had a fun evening on Halloween! It's not so big here in Oz (it's getting bigger though) and my kids are getting a bit too old for that anyway, but my younger still had a mask and a sickle - to have fun with any trick or treaters knocking on the door, kids!! Love your little pumpkin and cat, they're so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great costumes. It is sad when your kids get past this age. We didn't even have a single trick or treater at our house! Cute knitted cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not really a Halloween fan... once the participants get past the age of 7 or 8, it's less cute and I am NOT a fan of being scared.

    I enjoy watching people who enjoy Halloween though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pics of the bears in costumes are too hysterical! I can't say I'm a big Halloween participant, but a good dress-up party for the grown-ups can be good fun.

    Let's hope you can recover this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fangs, Andrea!! Your children look great, too, and I love the knitted decorations!
    As someone whose youngest daughters just turned 21 last week, I have to say that, yes...time flies by like a witch on a broomstick...so you are right to enjoy as many moments as you can!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thought your viewers might enjoy a tip on making a wool wall hanging, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you about parents who drive the kids around the neighborhood. GRR! For one, it's unsafe - it's getting dark out, misty rain, young kids excited with and for candy in costumes where they might not be able to see well, and cars driven by parents who are distracted etc. I saw many a kid not buckled into a car seat :( I'm surprised more aren't injured. Add on the health benefits of walking - for kids and parents :) it's the best! Not that I wasn't cold, because it sure was windy. Good excuse for some hot chocolate afterward. Memories are made out there anyway :)

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your knitted ornaments turned out lovely Andrea! Thanks so much for taking part in the KAL.
    :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh, the elementary school Halloween Parade, those were the days!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, we were left in the dark for the 2nd Halloween in a row now, thanks to that bee-atch Sandy. :( We did get our power back yesterday however and will return to regular blogging next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sweet little knitted kitty ... probably much better behaved than the real thing!

    I always ply my spindled yarn on the wheel. I don't understand why I'm willing to slowly spin yarn on a drop spindle, but so impatient to ply it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to make a couple of her things too...yours came out great...I took two students out trick or treating and we joined another teacher in their neighborhood..it was a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Halloween costumes. Halloween seems so much bigger in the States than here, where Bonfire Night is a bigger deal, although we did go out Trick or Treating. Told my son he was too old to go this year, as he is taller than me. I expected a big scene, but he just said OK. Just realized you may not no what Bonfire Night is. Guy Fawkes??

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pumpkins! No, I didn't knit anything for Halloween, it is not my fave holiday.

    BTW, I accidentally added my blog twice, silly error. At first it didn't look like it took, so I hit the button twice. Sorry, I am still new to linkys.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those kitty kats! so cute. Looks like a fun holiday was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great little halloween knits, putting the hat on the cat is a great idea, although it did look adorable on your dog

    ReplyDelete