Friday, November 9, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Stitch in Daylight Savings Time

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  This week's post was brought to you not by the help of Daylight Savings Time but from the sheer tenacity of yours truly.  In the fall we are supposed to "fall back" and gain an hour of sleep so that we have more light in the morning.  Yeah, my internal clock has been a complete mess!

Instead of waking up at 5am, I've been getting up at 4am which is great for Fiber Arts time but not for my beauty sleep ;-)

Even with the messed up sleep schedule I did complete a couple of projects.  First, I knitted the Dragon Slayer's Helmet Hat using my handspun.  I love knitting with handspun. It's a wonderful and enjoyable experience when knitting a project that even the most beautiful commercial yarn can never compare itself to.

The pattern called for bulky yarn and I was using a Worsted to Aran weight (This yarn was spun two years ago so the weight wasn't always consistent)  so I went from the recommended Size 13 to a Size 10.5 needle.  I didn't adjust the pattern so I ended up with a slightly smaller hat than the pattern would call for but in the end, it fits the size head that would enjoy the hat the most.

I also spent some time spinning this week and even had a chance to ply the yarn.  I have a weaving project that I hope to work on this weekend using this yarn in the Weft (horizontal direction).

I also plied all of the yarn that I spun on my drop spindle during Tour de Fleece this Summer.  I used my wheel and am very happy with the plied yarn.

I did finish a weaving project but due to the lack of light when I get home at night, I haven't taken a photo.  I will get some this weekend and share next week.  Speaking of sharing, what adventures in Fiber Arts did you have this week?


Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs



25 comments:

  1. I love the dragon slayers hat! Looks fantastically warm and I love the design! We've still not got used to the time change over here. Little Red is getting up at 6am instead of 7am so I've ended up with less yarn time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way I will ever be able to work with hand spun wool is if I find someone that will spin the fleece for me as I simple don't have time myself. Your stuff looks real good anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome hat Andrea! Your drop spindle yarn looks super soft. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love your dragon slayer helmet hat in your handspun which is gorgeous in itself. You have great handspuns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waking up an hour earlier too, so far haven't gained my extra hour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time to link up with you, but I'll be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you manage to fix the internal clock, that can be quite bothersome, happens here too for a while :)
    Thanks for hosting.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing from me this week, too much day job related things going on.

    You are always so productive. The hat turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool scaled look to the hat with little horns. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. But what's going on with the dog and your weaving????!!!!!

    It definitely takes some getting used to, the fall back clock. I love more light in the morning, but do so hate that it gets dark just before 5:00 pm. So rude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dragon slayer hat is fantastic, especially using your handspun. The ultimate in creativity. Looks great on!

    I finally started knitting again and it feels good to have that fiber moving through my hands again.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute hat. Happy Fiber Arts Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you! Every time I knit with my own handspun I wonder why I ever knit with anything else. (Um, because I don't spin as many yards as I knit, silly?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, what a cute hat! Adorable dragon slayer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute hat and it looks so soft and warm! You get up at 5 am ? No wonder you get so much accomplished! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, I know what you are talking about with the time change, but for the life of me, I can't get up at 5am! You are an energetic bunny ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Handspun is great -- and you always knit the coolest things! I brought my trindle (your fault that I have one) to work and my co-worker thought I was mental -- you make stuff with that? And now my queue is one project longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I'm glad to claim fault for your new spinning journey. I really do love my trindle. Hooray for you spinning your own yarn.

      Delete
  18. I have never worked with handspun yarn but am inspired to try it by your lovely blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you mean about having your internal clock mixed up - I have also been getting up an hour earlier than usual :o( I'm sure I will reset soon.

    I am so impressed that you spin your own yarn! I would love to do that but am really intimidated. Your yarn is so pretty and I know why that hat is loved so much!

    Can't wait to see your weaving project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super handspun yarn. The hat came out really well. I have not really recovered from the clock change either. It boggles my mind that you are waking up at 4! (I am still fast asleep then)

    ReplyDelete